entistry is a broad category focused on general oral health. There are several specialties within this umbrella, including orthodontics. Orthodontics focuses on diagnosing, preventing, and treating conditions impacting the alignment of your teeth and jaw.
For many years, traditional metal braces were the primary option for resolving alignment issues. However, advancements in dental technology have led to alternative treatments, such as Invisalign being introduced to the market.
Invisalign offers several benefits over traditional braces. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the top 10 benefits.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an alternative to traditional braces for orthodontic treatment. This option is typically recommended for mild to moderate malocclusion, though it may be appropriate for more severe cases when used with attachments to secure the aligners to the teeth.
Brackets are cemented to the teeth with an arch wire running through them. Every few weeks, as teeth shift into their appropriate position, the arch wire is tightened. Typically, treatment with traditional braces takes 12 to 24 months- and may require as much as 36 months, depending on the severity of the misalignment.
This orthodontic treatment is a series of clear aligners, similar to a retainer, designed to put pressure on teeth to shift them into their appropriate position. Patients are given the full set from the beginning and instructed to change them out every few weeks. The aligners must be worn for at least 20 to 22 hours a day. The average treatment time with Invisalign is 12 to 18 months. Patients with very mild misalignments may see full results within 6 months, while patients with more severe misalignments may require as long as 24 months.
Benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign offers several benefits over traditional braces, including:
- Discreet: Aligners are made from a transparent plastic material, making them virtually invisible- which is one of the primary reasons for their popularity
- Comfortable: Aligners are smooth and fit snugly against your teeth without the need for brackets and wires that can cause irritation
- Removable: Aligners are designed to be removed for eating and oral hygiene practices, which means no food restrictions and easier maintenance
- Shorter treatment time: The average treatment time with traditional braces is 12 to 24 months or more, but the average treatment time with Invisalign is 12 to 18 months
- Predictable results: Invisalign uses 3D technology to create a customized treatment plan, allowing you to see a visual representation of your expected results before beginning treatment
- Improved oral health: Since aligners are removable, there are no special considerations for oral hygiene- simply brush and floss as usual
- No dietary restrictions: Since aligners are removable, there are no dietary restrictions- continue enjoying your favorite foods, just make sure to clean your teeth before putting aligners back in
- Boosted confidence: Traditional braces can make patients feel self-conscious, but Invisalign is clear which means most people won’t notice you are even wearing aligners
- Cost-effective: On average, the cost of Invisalign is comparable to traditional braces
- Minimal maintenance: Invisalign doesn’t require any special tools or considerations for maintenance, unlike traditional braces
Why Choose Us For Invisalign In Beverly Hills, CA
Dr. David Frey at Perfect White Smile has worked with more than 10,000 patients in his more than 33 years to improve their oral health as well as the appearance of their smile. He is committed to creating the perfect treatment plan for every patient and also believes in continuing his education so that he can continually improve his practice through the incorporation of the latest in dental technology.
Check Out If They're Good for You!
The best way to find out if Invisalign is an appropriate treatment is to schedule a consultation. Your dentist will perform a comprehensive examination including x-rays and other necessary imaging. You will also be asked about your commitment to the process- you must be willing to commit to wearing the aligners as instructed. If you do not comply with treatment requirements, it will not work.