TMJ treatment options available with Dr. David Frey of Beverly Hills, California
- Posted on: Jan 15 2021
The TMJ, or “temporomandibular joint,” is the jaw joint on each side of the mouth that open and close the jaw. While necessary for proper speech and eating, this joint can become problematic for many patients. When this happens, patients may be diagnosed with a condition called TMD, or temporomandibular joint disorder. The condition can cause a wide range of problems including:
- Cracking/popping of the jaw joint
- Locking of the jaw in the open or closed position
- Chronic headaches and migraines
- Poor bite alignment and function
- Bruxism (clenching and grinding of the teeth)
When these problems occur, it is critical that patients get a proper evaluation and diagnosis to discuss the best treatment options for their unique needs.
Methods of diagnostics and treatment for the TMJ
Dr. David S. Frey can fully evaluate a patient to determine the best treatment for their specific condition. With a proper diagnosis, he can then make recommendations for individuals. These treatment recommendations may include:
- A TENS machine to obtain the physiological resting position
- Decompressions of the TMJ using manual exercising
- Wearing of a custom-shaped orthotic for jaw muscle rehabilitation
- Orthodontics to realign the jaw and bite
- The use of a FAGGA (fixed anterior guided growth appliance) to ensure proper jaw growth
- EMG (electromyography) data for proper diagnostics
- In severe cases, jaw surgery
Which treatment is right for me?
Determining the best treatment starts with a proper diagnosis and evaluation with an experienced dentist. Dr. David S. Frey can then make a recommendation based on the patient’s unique needs. What works for one patient may not work for another, making the process of finding the best treatment –or combination of treatments—a journey. In worst case scenarios, patients may require jaw surgery to realign the jaw and reduce tension in the joint that causes continued pain and discomfort.
Call Dr. David S. Frey today!
Beverly Hills, CA patients who are concerned that they may be dealing with dysfunction of the jaw joint are welcome to book a consultation appointment and initial evaluation with our team. Call (310) 276-4537 to discuss your needs with our professional and start finding a solution to your common TMJ symptoms.
Posted in: TMJ