Veneer Maintenance Made Simple
- Posted on: Nov 15 2017
Many people express an interest in porcelain veneers as a treatment to enhance the attractiveness of teeth. Veneers made from high-quality dental porcelain are only about as thick as a contact lens, making this cosmetic restoration ideal for some improvements. Common uses for porcelain veneers include closing gaps and disguising stains, chips, and other flaws. Ultimately, what a person has to gain from veneer treatment are a gorgeous smile and optimal confidence.
Because veneer treatment is an investment into your smile, there is a good reason to want to maximize your results. This means prolonging the life of your veneers with appropriate care. The following tips are intended to help you enjoy veneers for up to 15 years.
Maintaining Your Veneers
- Take great care of your mouth. Good hygiene is necessary for veneers because the brushing and flossing that you do prevents plaque buildup around the margins of these jackets. If flossing is not a consistent habit, consider using a Waterpik for convenience and efficiency. Consistent flossing also protects veneers by inhibiting the development of gum disease, which could cause gums to recede away from veneers.
- Always use proper instruments for oral care. Be careful not to use abrasive toothpaste or a hard-bristled toothbrush on veneers, as this can scratch the porcelain and invite bacterial buildup. We are happy to recommend an appropriate toothpaste for daily use.
- Talk with your dentist about a mouthguard. Mouthguards protect veneers and natural teeth during sporting activities. A mouthguard is also beneficial for individuals who clench or grind their teeth.
- Do no smoke. Smoking significantly increases the risk of gum disease, which can mean recession away from veneers and natural teeth. Smoking can also cause the ridges of veneers, where adhesive is situated, to discolor.
- See your dentist regularly. Dental visits are important for overall oral health and also for the care of veneers. The integrity of veneers is assessed during routine checkups, and cleanings complement the oral care routine kept at home.
Porcelain veneers provide the necessary cosmetic enhancement to bring out the best in your smile. Learn more about this treatment and how to maintain veneers when you visit our Beverly Hills office. Call us today at 310.276.4537.
Posted in: Porcelain Veneers