Dental hygiene tips for patients with dental implants
- Posted on: Dec 30 2020
Dental implants are a long-lasting and reliable method of replacing one or more teeth. However, just like the natural teeth, dental implants require appropriate care to ensure their longevity. When patients take note of dental hygiene habits after the placement of dental implants, they will often find that this restoration will last them a lifetime! Dr. David Frey and his team assist Beverly Hills, California area patients in learning about the ways they can keep their dental implants healthy and functioning for many years to come!
What are some dental hygiene tips for patients who have dental implants?
Patients should always take great care in ensuring their smile is healthy, especially if they have one or more dental implants in place. Below are a few recommendations from Dr. David Frey:
- Brush at least twice a day. Just like the natural teeth, dental implants require brushing at least twice a day for two minutes each time. A soft-bristled toothbrush or an electric toothbrush with fluoride toothpaste is key to removing food particles, plaque, and tartar that can develop along the gum line.
- Floss daily. The area where dental implants meet the natural gum line is susceptible to trapping food particles. When patients floss their teeth at least once a day, they can keep this area clean and contribute to a healthier smile overall.
- Use the right toothpaste. Abrasive toothpastes can damage the surface of restorations used above dental implants, so it is wise for patients to use a non-abrasive toothpaste that is approved by the American Dental Association to maintain their implants and restorations, as well as their natural teeth.
- Remove and clean overdentures. Patients with implant-supported dentures will want to inspect and clean their overdentures regularly. Dentures can be cleaned in denture cleaner and a denture brush to reach the underside areas.
- Maintain routine dental visits. Visit Dr. David Frey every six months for a dental cleaning and evaluation.
Discuss ways to keep your smile healthy with Dr. David Frey
Beverly Hills, California patients who are in need of education on maintaining healthy dental implants and teeth are welcome to book a consultation visit with our staff at 462 North Linden Drive, Ste. #414. Our practice can be reached by phone at (310) 276-4538 and services patients in and around the Beverly Hills area.
Posted in: Dental Implants