Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentists Wants Families To Have Healthy Teeth For Life
- Posted on: Jul 26 2012
As a cosmetic dentist treating patients in Beverly Hills I see a lot of dental problems in adults and teens that could have been prevented. Everyone in the family can have healthy teeth for life!
The payoff for prevention includes beautiful, sparkling smiles, better nutrition for your kids because of proper chewing, and they never have to experience toothaches. Because oral health has been linked to heart disease, diabetes, pregnancy problems and other systemic issues you are also giving them the gift of better overall health.
You keep your body healthy by eating right and exercising and keeping your teeth (and your family’s teeth) healthy is going to require some smart choices and a little work on your part.
- Start prevention efforts early. When those first baby teeth come in they should be gently wiped with a clean, damp cloth or soft brush. Half of all children between 12 and 15 have cavities and the rate of cavities for kids is growing for the first time in 40 years. Why? Too much snacking and sippy cups. You can help protect your child by not putting them to bed with a bottle or sippy cup of milk or juice. Limit milk and juice to mealtimes and give your child water when they are thirsty.
- Seal those molars. Only one-third of children receive these protective coatings but they can significantly reduce cavities.
- Drink tap water instead of bottled. Most water systems add small amounts of fluoride which strengthens teeth and prevents cavities and most bottled water does not contain this. Fluoride toothpaste should be used every day but don’t rinse after brushing – it washes away the fluoride protection.
- Brush twice a day and floss every day. No excuses from any family member – parents are good role models.
- Rinse with water or chew sugarless gum after meals. This is a good time for your children to chew sugarless gum made with xylitol – it actually helps protect teeth from cavities.
- What is good for your body is good for your smile. A steady diet of soda and junk food means lots of tooth decay. Fresh fruits and veggies provide nutrients that make strong teeth.
- Skip the sugary snacks – especially the sticky ones. If you are craving something sweet it is better to have it as part of your meal. Soda is especially hard on teeth because of the combination of sugar and acid. Green tea (make it iced) is a great substitute and can help keep gums healthy.
- Take your kids (and yourself) for regular checkups and cleanings. Those simple appointments every six months can help you avoid bigger problems down the road. Included in your appointment is an oral cancer screening and many other health issues can present in the mouth before other symptoms are felt.
Prevention is a big part of what we do every day and our Beverly Hills cosmetic dentistry office would like to be a part of your prevention team. Please contact Dr. David Frey today at 310-276-4537 to schedule your appointment. Working together you can have beautiful, healthy teeth for life!
Posted in: Oral Health